Thursday, March 27, 2014

30 Day Writing Challenge Day 27

"A Quote You Try To Live By"

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent" *Eleanor Roosevelt

You're probably going to laugh but the first time I heard this was when I saw the Princess Diaries movie a few years back. Joe was saying it to Mia to try and make her feel better. And then I found it again on Pinterest and saved it.

But, it is true. Especially in my current line of work. It's like the world is made of people who get off on bringing someone down, no matter how good of a day they may be having. And, why? To make themselves feel superior in some way? Well, guess what? That feeling does not last long. And, honestly, I feel bad for those people. What could be so awful about life that you feel no joy in anything other than making someone else miserable? And it seems like it's easier if that person is a complete stranger. It's like leaving an annonymous troll trash message on a story review or an article or a YouTube video. On the Internet, hiding behind a username makes things even easier.

So, I have learned when I encounter people like that (nearly on a daily basis when working in retail) I try not to let them get to me. I smile more and crank up the perk. It will either throw them off or make them either more angry. I've even gotten a complaint or two over the years. But, I don't care. Boss Lady usually believes my side of the story, anyway.

Have to cut this one short. Work crazy early in the morning.
Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment