Friday, January 16, 2015

Story Snippet from New Witch On Campus

Here is a snippet from the first draft of my second book in my Witches of Coolersville series, New Witch on Campus. I'm having so much fun writing this and I've definitely turned up the drama level as this scene shows. Enjoy!

“You didn’t have to be so rude back there,” Tara continued. “You embarrassed me in front of my friends.”
“Oh, your new boyfriend?” Henry demanded.
“He’s not my boyfriend, you idiot,” said Tara. “You are. Michael’s just a friend.”
Henry let out a short laugh that sounded almost like a bark. “Oh, is he? He seemed to be getting pretty cozy over there. Applied for the same school as you. You and Marissa suggesting he work for your grandma. I saw the way he was looking at you. He’s got more than friendship on his mind. He might even be in love with you.”
Tara was taken aback at this statement. She tried to will herself to keep her expression indifferent but she felt the heat rise in her cheeks. “And, how do you know that, Henry James?” He winced when she used his first and middle name. “Are you psychic all of a sudden?”
“I know because it’s the same way I feel about you!” he shouted.
Tara glared at him. “Well, aren’t you just…” Suddenly what he said hit her. “Wait… what?”
Henry sighed. “That’s not how I wanted to tell you. But, I love you, Tara. And, I’m pissed at you at the same time.” He waited for a minute. “Well, don’t just stare at me. Say something, damn you!”
Tara just gaped at him. Her mind was screaming a thousand different things but she couldn’t get her voice to work. Henry rolled his eyes and turned to go and she forced herself to speak. “Don’t get mad at me. You freakin’ blindsided me! I don’t know what to say. You can’t blame me for that.”

“Whatever,” grumbled Henry. “Let me know when you have something to say. See you in class.” He walked away and she stood rooted to the spot for what felt like an eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment