Wednesday, January 8, 2014

2014 Resolutions

So, since we are now a week into the new year, I figure it was time to finally put up my 2014 resolutions. These will include bookish and writing ones as well as general, get my crap together life ones just so I have them all on one pretty little list.

So, first we'll do my bookish ones:
  1. For those of you who follow my YouTube Channel, Goodreads and Twitter, you'll know my goal is to read 50 books this year. This is going to include 5 classics and 5 rereads. I will also be counting audio books. I like to listen to those while I'm working on other projects or driving. I have an Audible.com subscription so that's at least 12 books right there.
  2. I also want to expand my collection. I feel like I've been falling behind in the book world. There are so many books I hear BookTubers talk about and see people write about on Goodreads. I felt, when I began Hunger Games last month, that I was one of the last people to begin reading that series. So, as much as my pocket book will allow, I want to add to my collection of books. I have a good start in a wide range. Young adult, steamy romance, historical fiction, historical non-fiction, fairytale or myth re-tellings. Some of them are stand-alones. Some are parts of series. Some are parts of series that could be considered stand-alones. This will, down the road, mean buying some more shelves. But, I hope to be in a different living situation when that happens. More on that in a bit.
Writing Goals:
  1. Write MORE! AND EVERY DAY! Whether it's just updating my blog or scribbling down an idea in my "Little Book of Big Ideas" journal I got from one of my good friends, I need to get back into writing more. I was doing so well before and during NaNoWriMo and then I think I burned myself out with the holidays. So, I definitely want to get back into that.
  2. Find flash drive with NaNoWriMo novel. Yeeah... I lost that about a week after NaNo was complete. Not good.
  3. Finish said NaNo novel. I was about 2/3 done with the first draft. I don't want to start completely over unless I have to because I don't remember all I had in the story. I do have the outline... somewhere around... so if I have to, I can make an attempt at starting over but I'd rather not if at all possible.
  4. Complete other partial projects- I've been bouncing around with some other ideas in my head. A historical fiction series, a fantasyish series based on an old RP character, maybe a somewhat middle grade-YA story. So, I need to sit down, focus on one and complete it before moving on to the next.
  5. Publish something by the end of the year. And I mean self-publish if that is the goal I'm going for. Better get to it!
Now for my general life ones:
  1. Swim at least once a week- I gotta get back to the pool! With the weather being cold and my health conditions that affect my joints, I hobble around like an old lady. In the water, I feel like me again. So, I need to get on that soon.
  2. Stop biting my fingernails. I don't bite so much anymore as pick. I don't know why. A nervous habit I've had forever. But I think long nails are pretty and, of all my faults, I think my hands are my best feature. I have really long fingers. My Gran always said I could be a hand model. And it would be nice to be able to paint my nails for a date and not get polish all over my skin because of stubby nails. Also, my boyfriend scratched me by accident with his and I realized, when he doesn't cut them, they get long and sharp and guys aren't supposed to have long nails, at least in my opinion.
  3. Learn to cook. This lesson already started last week when I made a surprisingly good attempt at lasagna. I was pretty pleased with myself. So, I want to continue this by trying to cook one meal a week.
  4. Get a passport- I don't have a passport and I need one if I'm going to achieve my next resolution which is...
  5. Travel more! Now, this is actually going to be a lifetime goal. There are so many places I want to see both inside and outside of the US. I want to visit some of my international pen pals some day. But, in order to leave the US, I need a passport. Also, to achieve this goal I need to...
  6. Fix my car. I'm taking it in tomorrow for a much needed oil change and seeing why the wiper fluid thingy won't work. Hopefully that doesn't cost my entire holiday check. Otherwise, I'm in trouble. And then I need to set money aside to fix my rattling exhaust. The car is drivable. Just annoying.
  7. And finally, I need to begin putting money away to move out. Hopefully by 2015. I'm going to be 30 years old this year. And, while there are many benefits to still living at home, I really need my own space. Whether that's getting an apartment or eventually moving in with the Boy remains to be seen. And then I can buy more shelves for my books! Woo!
So, that's it for my 2014 Resolutions. I'm off to get a little more writing done in other forms and then bedtime. Gotta clean out my car before I take it to the shop in the morning.

Have a great night and thank you for reading!
Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment