Monday, April 25, 2016

A Lost Light

Well, today is going to suck. I'm attending a funeral after work for a former coworker. 25 years old, super sweet young man. He was hard working. He always had a smile and a kind word for anyone he met.
I'm going to copy the Facebook post from his sister on the day he died and post it here before I say more:
Today has been the most devastating day of my life. Today my baby brother died. He was 25. He was a son, a brother, a nurse. He loved to laugh, he loved his patients and he loved his family. As great as he was, he fought with a demon inside of him and lost. That demon was addiction. It started many years ago with a back injury ... pills mostly. Then came the anxiety. Xanax and an alcohol chaser. We saw it coming like a freight train. After pleading with him to get help, he finally did. Rehab, for 28 days. We (his family) attended Nar-Anon meetings to help with our own struggles. On Tuesday he came home. He was changed. For the better perhaps, or just different. "Rehab was the best drug education I could have ever gotten." He joked. Little did we know he wasn't kidding. Today, 36 hours after leaving rehab, he died of a heroin overdose. He learned about heroin, in detail, in rehab. It isn't anyone's fault this happened but his own. I'm not angry. He has become just another a statistic.

I'm sharing this with you because my brother wasn't your typical "junkie". He was a good kid from a good home. He had a family that loved him and a good job. He had great, caring friends that tried to help him with his depression. He had hopes and dreams of a great future. All of that was taken by addiction. If you know of someone struggling with addiction, please find them help. Their life could depend on it. There are "signs". Don't pretend they aren't there or that your loved one will "get better" on their own. They cannot do it on their own. This is a disease. I cannot recommend Nar-Anon meetings highly enough. Find one if you are worried about a loved one. Go. They can and will help you. Tell your loved one you love them. The heroin on the streets today is mixed with all sorts of deadly crap. It kills. Please do not be ashamed. I was. I will not be anymore. Tim and others like him deserve to be able to stand tall and say "My name is Tim, I'm an addict .... and I need help." Please share this message. I have met some wonderful people during this process. Some have made it through .. some have not. I want others to know .... There is Hope.

To those friends and family that have supported us through this tough time, I cannot express my sincerest "Thank You's" enough. Once his final arraignments have been made, I will pass those along.

When I saw the news of this, I wanted to be physically sick. How could this happen to such a sweet guy? With so many evil people in the world, why do the good ones have to suffer like this? All the questions that one would ask during a time like this. It just goes to show how truly fragile life can be.

I think Melissa's post says it all so I'm not going to add much more. I'm going to start crying again if I do. I just wanted to share this with you and, if you or anyone you know is going through a problem with addiction, get help. It is possible. And, if you are blessed to have a healthy family, give them an extra hug tonight. Tim's parents shouldn't have to bury their child tonight. But, he will be remembered as a wonderful and rare light in a world full of darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment