Monday, September 19, 2016

The Math Teacher From Hell- "New Witch on Campus" 3rd draft excerpt

I haven't posted any excerpts in a while and I just added this scene to my story. This is Dr. Benedict. He is Tara's math professor and he's terrible. This won't be touched upon much in this story but, down the line, I'm planning on making it a plot point. Let me know what you think.
 
They walked into the classroom and took a seat. Before they could say anything more, the instructor walked into the room.
Dr. Benedict was a tall, lanky man with a nasally, but monotone voice. Not the kind of tone you need to keep a student’s interest in math at 8:00 in the morning. But, he seemed either not to notice or not to care that half the class was beginning to doze before he finished his introduction to the syllabus. Tara and Michael managed to stay awake by slipping notes to each other. And, their shock at the start of his lecture.
“This is Math 90,” he began. “Beginning Algebra. Or, more accurately, a refresher course of what you were too stupid to pay attention to in high school.” A few heads jerked up at this and students whispered to each other until Dr. Benedict took a ruler and smacked the podium with it, shocking the class back into silence. “I don’t dick around. I don’t tolerate talking. If you can’t keep up, there’s the tutoring center or you may as well leave now and drop the class. I move fast. You have 16 weeks to learn this shit and move on to the next level of actual college level math. If you’re not on time, you fail the day. I lock the door when I enter. You miss the lecture, tough shit. Everything’s laid out on the syllabus what we’re covering each day. You’ll just have to figure it out yourself if you expect to pass my class. Your cell phones will be silenced or turned off. If I see it out, you will be asked to leave and you’ll not be marked for a whole week. You’re that stupid and need a calculator, go buy one. Don’t use your phone. I’ll just assume you’re texting or on Facebook. Now, open your packets to page 1 and we’ll go over my rules and the curriculum for this semester.”

No comments:

Post a Comment