Saturday, June 7, 2014

Scarlet- book review (spoiler free version)

I just finished reading Scarlet, by A.C. Gaughen and it was AMAZING!!!! I have never flown through a book so fast. I can't wait to get my hands on the next one.

Scarlet is a creative retelling of the Robin Hood legends. In this story, Robin's friend and band mate, Will Scarlet is actually a girl with several secrets of her own that slowly come to light throughout the story.

The writing is imaginative and the language is fascinating. The story is told from Scarlet's view so she gives you glimpses of what her life was like before she hooked up with Robin and the boys.

The author's interpretation of the characters that we've all seen over and over in movies and television is fun and original yet still holds true to the legends and traditional stories. The relationship between the characters is very believable. And Scarlet's struggle to be treated like an equal is understandable, especially for the time period. When people find out she is a girl, they're all genuinely shocked that she is capable of everything she does.

The villain is the typical nasty Sherriff of Nottinghamshire who works for the equally nasty Prince John who over taxes the people to fund the king's crusades as well as his own greed. It's the story we've all heard before. But when a new thief takers comes to town, things become complicated. The danger increases dramatically. Secrets come spilling out and friendships are at risk. (To read more, read the spoiler version)

I loved this story and I can't wait to get my hands on Lady Thief. I give this a 5 out of 5 stars because I couldn't not put it down.

Thanks for reading and let me know if you read this book as well and what you thought. No spoilers, please. There's a separate post for that.

Have a great day!
Carey.

No comments:

Post a Comment