Monday, May 19, 2014

Last Day

Well, it's here. Tomorrow I begin a new decade and a new chapter in life. I thought it funny and appropriate that I heard Tim McGraw's "My Next 30 Years" on the radio on the ride home from work today.

As a little celebratory treat, I picked up a bottle of wine for tonight and one for family dinner tomorrow. I have until 1:00 to figure out what I want to eat. May be doing some Pinterest browsing for something exciting.

But the song got me thinking. How do I want to spend my next 30 years. So I came up with a kind of resolution list. No particular order.

1) Stick up for myself more- I'm normally a quiet person and when someone gives me a hard time I tend to keep it in so not to cause drama. Well, some people take silence for weakness. Not any more. When something is bothering me I need to learn to speak out and let whoever know otherwise I'll be doormat girl my whole life.

2) Travel more- This is both going places I've never been and returning to places I've seen and loved. I want to see the world and experience different cultures and learn more history. It'll help me learn and grow and it's inspiration for my writing.

3) Get published! That will hopefully start at the end of the year with my first novel with many more to come in the future. Really excited to see what happens with that.

4) Move- I don't like to say I write for the money because I don't. But I do hope that my book sales will provide me with enough so I am able to get my own place. A small apartment somewhere is fine by me, even.

5) New car- I like my car and can probably squeeze another couple thousand miles out of it. But I think it will be time for something new in the next few years. It'd be nice to have a MP3 hook up and all the cool stuff that became standard on cars the year after mine. I've always wanted a truck, actually. Not a big super cab gas guzzler. But something I'm comfortable driving in the snow here without worrying I'm going to die. And I can take on road trips.

6) Try new things whenever possible- Whether that's going to a new city or sampling a new food or even something like reading an unfamiliar author. Life is too short not to try and have as many experiences as you possibly can.

7) Value friends and family more- Over recent weeks, some family members have had some major medical issues and it's made me see how fragile life can be and how you never know what could happen in the blink of an eye. So I need to learn to say "I love you" more and make more of an effort to spend time with the people closest to me. No matter how much work I have or how tired I may be. Sometimes you have to suck it up and make the effort because it could be your last chance.

8) Celebrate! I learned this a few years ago when a close friend was battling cancer. They didn't know what the outcome would be and she was only 2 years older than me. Happy to say that she is 7 years cancer free. But she drove me crazy because when she turned 30, she was moping about all the things she hadn't done yet. Not married, no kids, and the list went on. I told her "You survived cancer! Take a trip. Go dancing! Just thank God for every day you can wake up and see the sun shine!" When I started having my issues with Rheumatoid Arthritis, I was upset but I knew I couldn't park myself on the couch and have a pity party. I had to drag my bucket out of bed regardless of the pain I was in and go to work or do my laundry. I made the most of my good days, which are becoming more frequent now that I am receiving proper medical care. And I push through the bad as best I can.

That's my list. Odd to stop at 8, I know but the wine is getting to my head and I can't think. Just want to sleep now.

Have a great night, everyone!

Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment