Thursday, March 6, 2014

30 Day Writing Challenge Day 6

"Thoughts On Mainstream Music"

Yay! A nice, open topic. Here goes.

I listen to just about anything you can sing or dance to, or both. Country, pop, old school rock, musicals, just to name a few.

When I was a teenager, I was very into the 90s Boy Band craze. (Oh, great. I just dated myself, ha!) My bedroom was wallpapered with posters and magazine clippings of the Backstreet Boys. I wanted to be a Spice Girl. And, yes, I wanted to go to the NTOTBSB concert a couple years ago.

Today, the boy bands kind of drive me crazy. Now, it could be this whole "getting older" thing I keep trying to avoid. But, I never bothered with the Jonas Brothers. And I think One Direction should go back to England. I got into an argument on YouTube with someone over those kids! Apparently, November 23 of last year was some big day for them. Well, it was also Doctor Who 50th anniversary. This person left a rant about how One Direction is the world and Blah blah blah. So, I just replied with "When One Direction is 50 years old, then they'll get a holiday. However, they will probably go the same as every other group in music. They have their run and go their separate ways in a couple years."

Lately, I've been listening to a lot of Country music. Some of the local pop stations seem to have Lady Gaga, One Direction, and Miley Cyrus on repeat. Lady Gaga is okay. She has a couple good songs. But I don't want to hear her every time I turn on the radio. Miley Cyrus? I refuse. Girl's got some issues. And I love how Daddy was all to happy to ride on her fame from the Disney days but now he seems to be avoiding her. I could be wrong, I don't keep track. But that seems to be the impression. Oh, and I want to shoot my radio whenever Justin Bieber comes on. Enough said there.

My current favorites are Thompson Squared, Miranda Lambert, and Florida Georgia Line. There are many more but when those in particular come on the radio, I have to crank the volume. Miranda Lambert, who is happily married to Blake Shelton, has the best breakup songs. Someone asked me one time why I like those songs. "I thought you were in a good relationship." "I am," I said. "But breakup songs are so much more fun to sing to." Maybe that sounds strange to some but that's me and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Also, if today's artists are going to remake or cover a song, do it justice! And there are some songs that should be left alone, unless you're in a cover band. I heard an Aerosmith song at work one day. I could tell it was a remake because it was sung by a girl. And it didn't sound right.

Some people may say I'm picky. And if you disagree, please don't send me any hate comments. I don't want some hard core "Belieber" or "Directioner" trolling my blog or social media because I have a different opinion. That's what makes the world interesting. We all have different opinions. And the world would be a lot better if we just respected those opinions and moved on.

Okay, rant over.

Oh, tomorrow will be fun. "Five Pet Peeves" No holding back on this one.

Good night!
Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment