Sunday, March 9, 2014

30 Day Writing Challenge Day 9

"The Importance of Education"

We all know, or should know, how important it is to have an education. And I don't just mean K-12. Education after those years is crucial to a fulfilling life. However, college or even trade school is not meant for everyone.

I am an example of this. After high school graduation, I was in and out of community college for a number of years, but I couldn't settle on what I wanted to do. I started with teaching, then web design, journalism, back to teaching. But I was never satisfied. So, why would I want to pay money for classes I would get bored with mid-semester? So, I decided to take a break. Travel, fix my car, explore my options. But I never stop learning. I am always reading about things that interest me. Usually history of some kind. Or I take up a hobby. I like documentaries on TV or YouTube. Even Netflix. I even started paying attention to sports, like football, so I know what my sister and my boyfriend are talking about. And I find I always gravitate toward my love of writing. And all my self-learning acts as inspiration for that writing.

Now, I am not saying drop out of college if you have a little trouble. It took a lot of thinking for me to make that decision. Investigate your options, especially if you have loans or your family is helping with school costs. Loans do have to be paid back and I don't think Mom and Dad would be happy if they paid for 3 years just to have you drop out before year 4. Some people end up excelling in college or trade school. So much so, they keep going back. I know a man who is a friend of the family. He has 4 Masters degrees and is now working on a PhD! He is brilliant.

Also, even after college or whatever you decide to do, learning is lifelong. Join a Bible study at your Church. Start a book club with friends. Visit a museum and actually read the plaques on the displays. Go to a historic site. I am sure there is at least 1 within driving distance. Find a topic that interests you and read everything book you can get your hands on about it. And take notes of things that stand out in your mind so you can research it further. Start researching your family tree. You never know what you will find. If you had ancestors from other countries, read about that country. Learn the language. Who knows? Maybe you could travel there one day and meet some long lost relative.

Have a little fun with it, too. For example, I love the history of Tudor England. I've read a number of books and web sites on the topic. But, I also read historical fiction, like Philippa Gregory's lovely tales, or watching shows like The Tudors- even though I know it's horribly inaccurate and focuses on the sex and death drama. And the actor who plays Henry VIII is far too good looking for the role. (Tangent, sorry)

So, yes, education is one of the most important things in the world after love. It just may not always come with a funny hat, long, boring ceremony, and piece of paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment