Monday, March 17, 2014

30 Day Writing Challenge Day 17

"Something You're Proud Of"

Ever since I began taking my writing more seriously, I have been working incredibly hard to perfect my style and craft because I really do want to do this as a career and be a published author. And, while this is just the beginning for me, so far I'd have to say the thing I am most proud of is my win of 2013 National Novel Writing Month.

I had attempted NaNoWriMo a number of times. But I would get distracted or something would come up and I would quit a couple weeks in. So, last October, I made the decision to take the leap. I began planning the story that had been tossing around in my brain for a while. I had a ton of notes and character profiles and a map of my world, everything.

November 1 arrived and I dove in. I wrote and wrote and vlogged and wrote some more. My goal was to finish before Thanksgiving because my day job is grocery retail and work was going to be hell. I didn't think I could write, work, and stay sane... or not pass out from exhaustion.

It wasn't easy. Juggling write, work, and my other obligations were so hard and crazy. But, I managed... somehow.

Finally, I reached the end. I entered the total and I had exceeded the goal of 50,000 words by 100 or 200. I printed my winner's certificate and hung it on the refrigerator like I was six years old and got a gold star on an art project in school.

What I'm not so proud of is what happened next. I needed a couple days to recover from the Thanksgiving holiday. And then I was going to add some more to the story before setting it down again until after the New Year. Unfortunately, I lost my flash drive and never backed it up on my laptop. How stupid could I be?! I don't know if it just knocked it off my desk or accidentally threw it away or what but I cannot find it! I still have some of my notes. But I really liked the scenes I wrote. And I don't think I can duplicate them.

So, now I am prepping another story for April Camp NaNoWriMo. The rules are more flexible and I can set my own word count. So, since Easter is in April, and once again work will be hell, I set my word count for 25,000 words. And then I can take my time to finish the first draft in May. (I have a vacation week coming up and that's my finish goal. Even better if I can print and start editing that week, too.)

There is another camp in July, too. These events are really the only times I can get consistent writing done. So, I need to start to discipline myself as if every month were National Novel Writing Month. Starting with this next event in April.

Oops! Tablet battery at 9%. What I get for watching Castle while trying to write. See what I mean about discipline?

Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment