Monday, June 1, 2015

June 30 Day Writing Challenge- 1

Prompt of the Day-What is your favorite birthday and why? Who was there? Did you have a party? What presents did you get? Be very specific about what made it so special.
Source- "1000 Creative Writing Prompts" by Bryan Cohen

Turning 25 is a milestone we all want to remember. You've hit a quarter of a century. You feel pretty secure in the direction of your life. Some of us have already started families by this time. Some have a great career. While others are getting over having their heart ripped out of their chest and stomped on.

That was me. Two days before my 25th birthday, I had broken up with a guy I had been with for nearly 3 years. Good times. I came home, cried in my dad's arms, and then my sister and our mutual best friend, Carrie, took me out. We went to Applebees and I had my first Long Island Iced Tea and we boy bashed for most of the night. As we talked, I realized the break-up was going to happen anyway and it was for the better. Had I known then what I know now, I would have realized that I would find someone so much better that I want to spend the rest of my life with, who actually respects me, and shares the same values. Sometimes you need those lows in life to help appreciate the highs even more.

On the day of my birthday, we went to a Chinese buffet with my family. My mom's 2 best friends joined us, too, which is always a great time. My friend, Kate, also joined us. And, so did Carrie. After dinner, we went back home for cake and presents. Carrie and Kate came along and we lit a bonfire. This is where the fun started. I had spent the previous day gathering scrapbook pages and pictures of that former relationship so I could burn them. I also had a sweatshirt of his from high school he had given me so that was burned as well.

After we burned that stuff, it was time for cake. I wish I still had pictures but they were lost because of a virus but the cake was an interesting sight. It was warm that day so the icing was melting and it looked like a waterfall. Because I had so many candles, my dad pretended he needed a blow torch to light them all. Ha ha. -__- I got some pretty amazing presents. New laptop, which is now my old laptop because I still have it but, hopefully, not for long. Beautiful digital camera that I still use because it takes wonderful pictures. I have to get the ultimate lithium batteries because it eats through regular ones like Santa eats cookies but it's worth it. I also got a photo editing program similar to photoshop but I no longer have it because I never reinstalled it after my laptop got a virus earlier this spring. That will change when I eventually get a new laptop. I want Adobe Illustrator so I can work on my own book covers. And, Photoshop as well.

A few days later, I had a party with all my close friends. An acquaintance of my dad had a shop where he sold DJ equipment. He also had party rooms that people could rent out and have karaoke parties. That's what I wanted for my birthday that year. May is an unpredictable weather time here in Ohio so anything outdoors is hit or miss. I wanted something different so I booked a room and invited a bunch of people and it was so much fun. What's nice about having parties like that with just friends is people are more inclined to grab the microphone. If it's just a group you know and you're just goofing off, then you're more comfortable.

So, despite the rough start to the week, it turned out pretty amazing. I cried, I laughed, I learned I can move on with life because I have the support of my friends and family and 6 years later as I continue in the newest decade of my life I still have friends and family backing me. I'm with the real love of my life. And, I'm pretty happy in the direction I'm headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment