Thursday, June 11, 2015

June 30 Day Writing Challenge- 11

Prompt of the Day-What was your scariest nightmare ever? Talk about who is in it with you and why it was so frightening.
Source- "1000 Creative Writing Prompts" by Bryan Cohen

When I was in 8th grade, we took a class trip to Washington DC. We toured the Holocaust museum. It was one of the saddest, most moving experiences of my life. If you ever go, bring Kleenex because you will need it.

That night, I dreamed that I was in the museum again, except it was probably closed for the night because I was the only person there. I'm walking through the halls and they have TVs all over playing old news footage and propaganda videos. Suddenly, the TVs turn to color and Nazi soldiers start crawling out of the screens. Kinda like that movie the Ring with the creepy little girl in the well. (I've never seen the Ring. I just saw the Scary Movie 3 parody version but I got the idea) Someone starts screaming in my dream version of what I think German would be and they start chasing me through the halls of the museum.

Now, it's been a long time since I've been to this museum but, from what I remember, there are a lot of twists and turns. You take an elevator to the top floor and work your way down. There are side halls with displays and video monitors. It's a fascinating place... until you're dreaming about being chased by Nazis. So, I keep running and get a little ahead. (That's how I know it's a dream. Because, even in 8th grade, I was not a good runner and in real life they would have caught me within about 5 minutes.) And, I duck into a corner to catch my breath. I feel a hand on my shoulder and a hand clamps my mouth when I start to scream. I turn to see Anne Frank and other people in this darkened side hall. So, not only do the soldiers come to life, everyone does. She tells me to be quiet and we hear the soldiers run past. Then, she and the other people lead me out of the museum and onto the streets of Washington DC. I run out the door and turn to see if they're following me and she gives me a sad look and says, "Our place is here now. If we leave, we can't share our story so this never happens again." I thank her and run off. I woke up crying in my hotel room. Woke my friends up.

I suppose some wouldn't think it's that frightening. It did have a happy ending. But, it's definitely a dream I'll never forget. And it would not deter me from going back.

What about you? Any dreams, scary or otherwise, stand out? I rarely remember mine so it's significant if something stays with me like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment