Tuesday, June 9, 2015

June 30 Day Writing Challenge- 9

Prompt of the Day-Write a story about a time that you were injured, whether it was a small injury or a more serious one. How did you deal with the problem and what kind of medical attention did you receive?
Source- "1000 Creative Writing Prompts" by Bryan Cohen

Since my birthday was a few weeks ago, this topic is perfect. Just before my 18th birthday, I was hit in the head by a line drive hit by my sister. It was a complete accident but it hurt and I did have to go to the hospital.

It was a nice spring day and she and I were playing outside for a few hours before I had to go to work. She wanted to practice a little because she was joining a summer softball league that year. All I could do was slow pitch but it was a nice day so I agreed to help. Our neighbor, and her friend since she was about 2, was baby sitting this brat of a boy and he stood across the street calling us names. We ignored him but I could tell my sister's blood was beginning to boil. I pitched, she hit, and clonk! Knocked me right in the forehead on the right-hand side of my head. I dropped to my knees, crying. She ran over to me, crying and apologizing, and she helped me into the house. I had a huge lump on my head so my parents got me an ice pack and drove me to the local Emergency Room.

I had to get x-rays to make sure I didn't have a concussion. We waited for what seemed like forever before being finally admitted. I was told to call off work that night and the next day to be safe and to keep ice on my head.

The swelling took almost a week to completely go away. But, this was a plus because when I went back to work 2 days later I forgot my medical note. The manager where I worked was a bee-yatch and yelled at me about it. I got mad, pointed to my, still swollen, head where you could see the seams from the ball, and said, "Is this enough of a note for now? I'll bring it next time I work." She just kind of gaped at me and I went back to work.

Years later, we laugh about this. But, I know it was an accident. I'm just a little more cautious when I play ball with her. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment