Wednesday, June 17, 2015

June 30 Day Writing Challenge- 17

Prompt of the Day- Talk about a time in which someone praised your writing and how it made you feel. Describe the scene and the reactions of anybody else in the room upon hearing these words.
Source- "1000 Creative Writing Prompts" by Bryan Cohen

When I was working on my first novella, Witches of Coolersville, I had done 2 drafts and edited them myself. I had also posted the story on fictionpress.com but I wasn't getting a whole lot of feedback on it. So, I decided to turn to some of my writer friends for help. I asked one of my friends to be my beta reader. She didn't know me too well and would, hopefully, give me a critical yet helpful opinion of my work so I could continue editing and, eventually finish. I broke up my draft into individual chapter files and sent them a few at a time, or as I finished them. She was the first person outside my close circle to really judge my work and, while we were friends, I was nervous.

I think I sent 5 chapters in the first batch. I waited a few days and finally got a reply email. I was so happy with her comments! The detailed stuff was noted in the documents themselves but she would give me an overall opinion in her email. She said she was really interested in the story. My detail and early character introduction had her interested right away and she was excited to read the next batch of chapters. I couldn't believe what I was reading! With each group of chapters I sent, more and more praise for the story over all. It was getting me more and more excited to keep working on my story. I even changed some before I sent them to have intentional cliffhangers to see how she'd react and she would beg me to hurry up with what happened next.

It was such a thrill! Every time I got an email from her, I was so happy. I had to read some of them to my family and friends. They were happy as well that I was receiving this feedback. I could only imagine once my book was published and other readers finding it with the same kind of enthusiasm. It's why I continue to work and write. I love to share my ideas with people and being published will help me reach so many more people. I can't wait to finish. I'm so close to my first publication and it's insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment