Wednesday, June 24, 2015

June 30 Day Writing Challenge- 24

Prompt of the Day-If you have ever been on a diet, write about your experiences with it. If not, make up a story in which you had to go on a diet for medical reasons. What would you have to cut out and how would you cope with those changes?
Source- "1000 Creative Writing Prompts" by Bryan Cohen

I've mentioned my various health issues and this has caused me to adjust the kinds of food I can and can't eat. I should have started it sooner but, after my blood clot last year, I had to go on a low sodium diet. Salt is a tremendous inflammatory. It causes you to retain water as well. You need some salt in your system but too much can be bad and cause high blood pressure. It hasn't been easy. I love peperoni pizza and Chinese take-out food. Both are very salty. When I have too much, my knees swell up and I can hardly walk.

I also have to watch the processed and frozen foods. This means I have to make an attempt at a lot of home cooking. It takes more time but it's worth it so I can move. Some of the things I make I like better and they're kind of fun to make. One of my favorites, and I make it A LOT, is pasta sauce. I get big cans of plain, no salt added tomato sauce. I dump it in a pot and can add whatever seasonings I want. I add garlic, Italian seasonings, black pepper for a kick, and a little sugar to cut the bitterness and acidity. I also found, but have yet to try, a low salt taco seasoning on Pinterest.

I cheat once in a while. Like I said, I like peperoni pizza and Chinese food. Oh, and chicken wings. So, I have to make sure I have the next day off or drink lots of water so I'm not in as much pain.

This is one diet I've managed to get my family to go along with, which helps me a lot. If I have other people with me, it keeps me accountable. I think that's why my soda pop ban has worked so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment