Sunday, September 14, 2014

September Writing Challenge- Day 14

Prompt- I was wrongly accused of...

This is kind of a silly one. It was aggravating at the time but I can look back on it now and laugh. I was wrongly accused of picking my nose in public.

Now, listen to the whole story first and you'll see why I find this so funny. At my job, we have a Halloween dress up every year. We host a little indoor trick-or-treat where we have treat stations throughout the store and the kids can go around and get something from all the departments. For some added fun, they allow the workers to dress up as well. So, about 4 or 5 years ago, I was a geisha girl. I had made this costume (with my mom's help because I don't sew) and did my hair and face all up and I loved this costume. I thought I looked pretty cool. The fabric trim and the belt were made from scraps I found that had this incredible dragon print that I loved. And, my hair was long enough to go in a bun and I had hair sticks that my friend gave me.

Only flaw to the costume was the make-up. I bought some really pale concealer in a popular brand and used it to make my face look lighter like I'd seen in the movies. I thought it would be fine. This particular brand was a good quality and it looked good. But, my skin is very sensitive with stuff like that. Maybe because I never wear stuff like that. So, while at work, my face began to itch. I stopped for a moment to scratch an itch that was driving me crazy on the side of my nose. That's when the customer got mad at me. Of course, when someone wants to make the complaint, they do not speak to the person they have an issue with. Oh, no. That would be too easy. Then their complaint would be easily resolved and no drama would be caused. Where's the fun in that?? So, he went to the customer service desk and raised a fuss. My register was nearby but I was just out of earshot. But, I saw a lot of hand gestures and pointing at me. The girl who took his complaint assured him he would have a talk with me and when he stormed out she came over laughing.

"Do you know what he said?" she asked. I shook my head. "He accused you of picking your nose."

"What? Ew! My face was itchy from this make-up and I've been scratching all day. Maybe he somehow interpreted it wrong from his angle in line?"

She shrugged. "I have no idea. But, I thought you'd get a laugh out of it." We both did, I think.

So, that was it. It's still one of my favorite costumes. I kept it for future use when I can't think of something else. It's my go-to last resort like my poodle skirt or Fem 11 that I've kept in a bin in my closet.

There is no shortage of insanity at my day job. Comes with working with the public, I suppose.

Thanks for reading!
Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment