Friday, September 19, 2014

September Writing Challenge- Day 19

Prompt- An irrational phobia

Spiders.

I.

Hate.

Spiders!

They freak me out! I get all squirmy at the sight of even a web, and we have 2 big ones outside in our yard. One on the patio and one on our swing. I know they're good. They eat bugs like mosquitoes but do they have to be so icky looking? Why can't they be pretty? Like the poisonous frogs you see in the rainforest?

I think what really ruined me was watching the movie Arachnophobia when I was 12. I was having a sleepover for my birthday and one of my friends brought it over. A movie about killer spiders being watched by 4 pre-teen girls in a basement? That would have a fantastic ending. We didn't make my mother very happy. There was a tiny, harmless spider on the ceiling and we all began screaming. Mom was already asleep but she woke up and came down to squish it for us. Needless to say, we stuck to Disney for the rest of the night in our movie selection.

If I find one in the house, which is rare, I am able to squish them... if they're small enough. I squeal and squirm while doing so. But, I get the job done. There are few things more terrifying than waking up in the morning and seeing a spider on your bedroom wall. Talk about motivation to get out of bed! That happened a few times while my room was in the basement. (Another reason I came back upstairs)

I don't really know why I have this fear. But, isn't that the meaning of phobia? No rational explanation? Maybe I'll overcome it someday. Or, it's just something I have to live with.

What about you? Do you have a fear of spiders? What are your phobias?

Thanks for reading!
Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment