Friday, September 12, 2014

September Writing Challenge- Day 12

Prompt- What do you think people misunderstand most about you?

This is a big one I experience a lot at work and when I was in school. And, I think it applies to many people.

It's a common misconception about quiet people. Quiet = weak/submissive/insert similar adjectives here But we're not. Being quiet, at least for me, means I know how to hold my tongue. Or, I have no other choice but to do so in some cases. Like at my day job, for example. I work with the public. I really have to censor myself. When a customer is nasty with me and thinks because I work at a grocery store, I am stupid and he/she can just disrespect and trash talk me over something trivial, I have to hush until I go on break or go home. Then, I can sit in the car for a few minutes and say everything I wanted to say to the person's face but couldn't because I'd be fired.

This doesn't mean I haven't slipped. There is a coworker I'm always knocking heads with. I've mentioned her before in previous posts. (Enjoying two weeks of her being on vacation. *happy dance*) She has spread rumors about how I fake my health issues just to get out of work or gain sympathy. She has accused me of mouthing off to her when I've said nothing, in an attempt to not scream out that I think she's a fire breathing bitch to her face. But, even the most patient people have a limit of what they can take and I did lose my temper with her once. She snapped at me over something stupid and I was trying to keep quiet. She thought I mumbled something and was getting on my case. I told her I didn't say anything. She wouldn't drop it. She started talking about it to another coworker who 1) is a friend of mine and 2) was still well within earshot. I couldn't take it anymore. Customers were overhearing the names she was calling me and I was being humiliated. I shouted, "I didn't say anything to you so back off. You are acting like an idiot child talking about me five feet away and in front of customers." My friend was a little frightened. She told me later she had never seen me lose my temper before and I said it was really hard to keep myself from completely let loose because I probably would have inserted a few expletives while I was yelling. But, she was already being inappropriate so I didn't want to play her game. Someone had to be the bigger person.

I describe my temper as a volcano. Dormant, quiet, patient usually. But, each time I'm pushed, the pressure builds and it gets harder and harder to stay quiet until BOOM! It's 1980 Mt. St. Helen. I think it was because I stayed quiet for so many years as a kid/teen and it did little to no good for me. About time I learned to stand up for myself.

And, this runs in the family. My mom is the same. And when family is involved, it's even harder for us to keep quiet because we're, for the most part, a close-knit bunch. A few years ago, some family members were insulted and hurt by someone and my mother went off. She had been wanting to say what she said for many years and was finally pushed to the point where she didn't care anymore and got it all out. She always tries to be the peacekeeper of the family. "Let's work it out like civil people." But, when someone you love is hurt, verbally or otherwise, you jump right in and defend them to the moon and back.

Now you know!

Thanks for reading.

Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment