Thursday, September 18, 2014

September Writing Challenge- Day 18

Prompt- Old photo of me and the story behind it

This has to be one of my favorite pictures ever. This was taken when I was in the 5th grade, just before I turned 11. I was in a musical theater group and this was just after one of our performances. We did Gilbert and Sullivan's 'Mikado,' hence the wig and the kimono. My grandparents all came to support me, even though I was only an extra. But, they were awesome like that.

On the left side is my grandma Veronica. She's my dad's mom. We lived with her from the time I was about 8 after my grandpa passed until she passed in 2007, just before my sister graduated high school. We were very close and told each other everything. She was an incredible cook and always made tons of cookies for Christmas every year. When I started working at a grocery store in high school, she would slip me her credit card and tell me to bring home goodies. She loved to read romance novels and was the one who introduced me to Nora Roberts' books. But, she also read the Harlequin books. And, some of them were bordering on what I imagine Fifty Shades would be like. So, I never read them. I think I tried reading one and had to put it down.

The pair on the right are my mom's parents, Grandpa Steve and Grandma Victoria. Two of the most amazing people I ever knew. Grandma also loved to cook and bake. She's the one who taught my mom and aunts how to make homemade pierogies and they are now teaching me and my cousins. She always had a kind word for us kids, even when we were having a bad day. She was little but mighty. No one crossed her or hurt her family or you'd get an ear full. Grandpa loved to talk, especially when there was food on the table. For a while he and my dad had a weekly dinner tradition. And, I would tag along, too, if I didn't work. They'd go to a local Chinese buffet and sit and eat and talk for a couple hours. Or, rather, Grandpa would talk and we'd listen. He loved to tell stories. Sometimes, he would embellish them a bit but we never knew otherwise.

I miss them all very much and when I look at this picture I can't help smiling at all the memories I have of them.

Thanks for reading!

Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment