Monday, September 22, 2014

September Writing Challenge- Day 22

Prompt- My muscles were sore after...

My muscles were sore after climbing Spencer's Butte in Oregon. But, just look at that view!

I had no idea when my friend, Richard, said, "Let's go hiking," that I would be scaling a mile up trail. Half of it was climbing the rocks.

I live in northern Ohio. Primarily flatland. So, a hike for me is going to the park and walking the bike path for a few miles. No problem. With enough time, and a few breaks, I can probably do a total 4 mile walk easy peasy. But, walking on an incline for half a mile and then scaling the rocks for another half? Totally different story! It's not that I'm afraid of heights. Because I'm not. I'm afraid of falling from those heights.

We took frequent breaks while on the regular path part. Richard was really great about it when I said I had to stop. The dogs were a little more impatient. His little chihuahua didn't want to stop at all. When we got to the rocks, he would take off a ways ahead with the dogs. I'd go a few feet and then had to stop. Go a few feet, then stop. But, Richard wouldn't let me give up. "Come on!" he would call. "You're the Pink Ranger! You got this!" "Yeah, well, the Pink Ranger is a bit out of shape right now," I'd call back. And, other people climbing were really sweet. I'd stop for a break and someone passing would say, "You're almost to the top. Don't stop now." No one back home would be that encouraging. I'd probably get laughed at, called a fat @$$ and then they would move right along.

And, getting back down was a challenge on the rocky part because my knees don't bend that well with my RA so I felt like I was going to lose my balance. Fortunately, Richard helped me. He held my hand and showed me where to step that was easiest.

We managed to make it to the car before dark. The sun was just beginning to set. We drove into town and had dinner. And realized what a mess we both were with dirt smeared on our faces. So, we did wash up before we ate. Then, we got back to the house, both took hot showers, and then sat in the hot tub. Thank goodness we did because I definitely wouldn't have been able to move next day.

So, that was my rock climbing adventure. I do want to do it again. (But, be in better shape for it) Just need to get back out west so, Richard, if you're reading this, let me know a date and I'll start saving. :)

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment