Tuesday, September 23, 2014

September Writing Challenge- Day 23

Prompt- Public speaking

Ah, the topic that has plagued me my entire life. Public speaking. I realize that if I want to be a published author, I'll have to work on overcoming my fear because I would likely to go on tour with my book, or at least have to say a few words at a launch party. But, it's an issue I've had ever since I was a kid.

Standing in front of a group of people- 20 or more sets of eyes focused on you standing there. Palms begin to sweat. Chest tightens, making it harder to breathe. This makes your head spin from lack of oxygen and all you want to do is wish for the floor to open up beneath you and swallow you up so you don't have to deal with it.

I have been getting better. Practicing by speaking to my camera when I do my videos helps me work on eye contact. I'm trying to minimize my awkward pauses and the number of times I say "Um." (This is also practical for live speaking and lessens my editing time)

I also like my dad's advice. When you get up to the podium or wherever you're speaking, look dead center, to your left, and to your right and tell every one in the audience (in your head, please) "I don't care what you say. I'm giving my piece and if you don't like it, tough." I did rephrase it a bit for appropriate audiences because he said it a bit differently. But, the meaning is the same.

How do you conquer your nerves when public speaking? Or doesn't it bother you?

Thanks for reading!
Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment