Monday, September 15, 2014

September Writing Challenge- Day 15

Prompt- Recipe fail

This is not exactly a fail but it could have been. My favorite treat from childhood is caramel rice crispy treats. My grandmother would make them every summer for us, sometimes multiple times if we were good because we would just gobble them up. I would help her by unwrapping the caramel because I would not eat them as I did so... not too many, anyway. Had to sample one or two to make sure they were okay. So, I thought it was a pretty simple recipe. Melt caramel, dip big marshmallows, roll in cereal, let set.

After she passed, I wanted to make them for a party. I had been craving them for a long time and finally had an opportunity. I stood at the stove with the double boiler set up and the caramels melting but something wasn't right. They were turning out too thick! I didn't want to burn it because I didn't want to make it over again. While I'm standing there wondering like an idiot, my mother actually dug out Gram's cookbook. She read the recipe then went to the cabinet and refrigerator to grab the two ingredients I was missing. To reach the right consistency, I needed butter and sweetened condensed milk. Once I added those, everything worked out just like I remembered when I was little.

Of course, there was the obligatory teasing about how I should actually read the cookbook. But, everything worked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment