Tuesday, September 16, 2014

September Writing Challenge- Day 16

Prompt- Favorite movies you never get tired of watching

I have a few of these and some of them drive my family crazy. So, I usually just watch them when I'm home alone.

1) Moulin Rouge- This is the movie that made my best friend and I, well, best friends. It was released to DVD when I was a senior in high school and we were both obsessed with it. She saw it first and constantly talked about it. So, one day, I went to her house in between when school let out and we had to be back for theater practice and we watched it. I went out and bought the soundtracks (there are 2) and the DVD myself and watched it over and over. We listened to the soundtrack every day at lunch and sang the songs all the time. Every now and then, I'll feel nostalgic and dig out my DVD. I've had to buy it a few times over the years because the disc would wear out from being used so much. This movie is not one for children. But, if you love musicals and incredible visuals and romance, this is a wonderful movie.

2) Princess Bride- "She gets captured, he gets killed, but it all turns out okay." This 80s classic is one I will never get tired of. It has everything. Sword fighting, romance, fairy tale castles, magic, bad guys, princesses, pirates. And, Andre the Giant? If you haven't seen this yet, first, Hello, welcome to planet Earth and Intro to Awesome 101. Second, go out to the nearest movie retail store and BUY IT! Then, grab some popcorn and settle in for a time honored classic adventure for everyone.

3) Robin Hood, Men In Tights- The genius that is Mel Brooks. Need I say more? I do? Okay, then. The original spoof master created one of the best Robin Hood adaptation films I've ever seen. It's hilarious. Everything you love about Robin Hood- the swashbuckling, the love story, the familiar characters- all are there but in a way that kind of makes fun of them and twists things around a bit. Example: Instead of Friar Tuck, it's Rabbi Tuckman. (Played by Mel Brooks himself) It is not for the easily offended because Mel Brooks makes a lot of crude, rude jokes in his films but I've been watching his movies since I was a kid when I didn't understand them so they don't bother me anymore.

4) Hotel Transylvania- This is a kids movie, yes. I first saw clips of it at work. We have a play area where people can drop their kids off while they shop. I work in there sometimes and it was around Halloween so it was a good time for a monster movie. This is absolutely adorable. Animated movie about classic monsters, but instead of them being scary to us, they're scared OF us. Dracula builds a hotel in the middle of a forest in Transylvania where monsters can come and stay without the fear of humans with their angry mobs, torches, and pitchforks. It's the image all the monsters have of humans because that's all they ever knew. It's Dracula's daughter's 118th birthday and there is a unexpected guest to the party. Johnny, a human, wanders into the hotel. What happens? Well, I'm not going to give it away. With Halloween coming up, this is a great movie to share with the kids. Ranks right up there with Hocus Pocus on my list of best Halloween movies. Gives you an idea of my taste and that I am entirely NOT into the really scary stuff at all!

5) 1776- Another musical! Shocker! Not really, I love musicals! And, this is incredible. The version I have is from the 1970s, I believe. Bought it on iTunes. I am unaware of any remakes. Unless you count the stage productions over the years, because it was originally a Broadway play. It's about the Continental Congress and the writing of the Declaration of Independence. It makes fun of all the party politics of then and now. Even though there were no set parties as of yet in the country, there were certainly factions fighting each other. Those for and against independence from England. Those for and against the slavery clause in the Declaration. Those for and against John Adams and his ranting and hot temper. There's humor (sometimes crude, lot of times from Ben Franklin) and drama mixed in with enough history to make you want to read about the event in more detail. Plus, William Daniels, aka Mr. Feeny, is John Adams. And, the man can sing! I never knew!

6) Knights Tale- Ah, medieval love stories. Knights in shining armor, beautiful ladies, scheming villains, and 70s rock. Wait, what? Yeah, the whole movie is set to 70s rock. The opening song is Queen's "We Will Rock You" and the peasants, and even the nobility, are dancing and singing along as they watch the tournaments. But, that adds to the fun of this movie. I love the big dinner dancing scene. I'm not all that familiar with David Bowie but, man, do I want to learn that dance to Golden Years. Also, the late Heath Ledger is so handsome and so incredible in this movie. I like him in this role- the fun loving, I'm gonna touch the stars, peasant boy traveling with his three hilarious companions. The only other movie I watched of his was Dark Knight, made shortly before his death. And, I can't get through the whole thing. It's just too sad. It also has one of the best lines about writing I've ever heard. After settling his gambling debts, Geoffery Chauser (Yes, the based on the famous medieval writer) makes a threat to his debtors. "I will eviscerate you in fiction. Every pimple. Every character flaw. I was naked for a day. You will be naked for eternity." It's what a lot of writers I know want to do. If there is someone who bullied you, then you could base a character on them and over exaggerate everything about them. And, if they don't like you (or you use a pen name) they'll never know you're making fun of them. It's a subtle, nonviolent revenge.

7) Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat- Yet another musical! Also, a stage production. I have the Donny Osmond version. Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of him but everything else about this production is so much fun. And, the entire musical brings back childhood memories. I was in musical theater and when I was in 6th grade, we did this same show. It was one of my personal favorites. The visuals and the music are incredible and catchy. The characters are so much fun. And, it's a wonderful story. Some people don't like that it's a dramatized version of a Biblical story. But, people say that when anything from the Bible is dramatized. Jesus Christ Superstar is a prime example. Also a favorite of mine, but my dad said he remembered a lot of protests about it when it first came out. Or, all the things people said about Mel Gibson when he made his Passion film. And, I'm sure people made comments about the latest Noah film, which I actually want to see. I'm curious.

8) Princess Diaries 2- Anne Hathaway, how I adore you and your cuteness! I enjoyed the first Princess Diaries very much. Anything that has a happy ending for the quiet, awkward girl, I'm all for. But, this one, where she's a bit more grown up and coming of age, is even better. I adore the love story. The setting is gorgeous. And, who wouldn't want Julie Andrews to be their grandmother? She's amazing!

9) Ever After- Another princess story! I'm such a girl! And a hopeless romantic. Drew Barrymore is Danielle, our Cinderella-type figure. It's a more "real life" version of the story. No fairy godmother. She has to figure things out for herself to make her life better. And, she risks her heart for it. I laughed. I cried. I thought Angelica Houston made a fantastic step mother. She's scheming, snobbish, and mean and sometimes you just want to take her by the shoulders and shout, "What is wrong with you?!" The differences in the two daughters is a refreshing touch to the story. Marguerite is the pampered, spoiled favorite. And Jacqueline is the softspoken, sometimes picked on one. If they didn't have Danielle to harass, they would probably have focused more on Jacqueline. Another love story for the ages.

10) Frozen- And finally! My guilty pleasure. I'm sure, by now, everyone is sick of hearing about this movie, or hearing the song on the radio. But, I adore this movie. I loved how it was about the bond of sisters and you don't have to have a man for true love. The love of family is just as powerful. Idina Menzel as Elsa- She has the voice for it. And, I do love that song. Kristen Bell playing Anna is so cute. I love how awkward and funny Anna is and she ends up saving the day. If you haven't seen it, but are curious about the hype, check this movie out. (Some) grown ups love it. Kids love it. It's a fun, family movie.

So, that's my 10 movies I can't get enough of. It's quite a list. But, if I didn't stop at 10, I'd be writing forever.

Are any of these on your list? Comment below.

Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment