Tuesday, September 2, 2014

September Writing Challenge- Day 2

Prompt- I threw a surprise party for... and this is what happened.

At Mom's party, December 2009
Family photo


A few years ago, I threw a surprise party for my mom's 50th birthday. My dad and my sister helped, of course. One of my aunts made the cake. And, overall, the party was a success.

The problem was keeping the secret from my mother for two whole months. I'm very close to my parents. I tell them just about everything. So, it was very difficult for me to keep this huge thing from my mom. And, as the time drew closer, I was beginning to panic about getting things done and worrying about people who were not replying as to whether or not they were coming which drives me insane. Also, people were asking me what to get Mom as a gift and I had no idea. Whenever I asked her, just casually, she would say things like "world peace" or "a cure for cancer." Totally not helping. And, when I am worried about things, it's hard to keep it contained.

So, the night before the party, my parents and I are eating dinner and I'm mentally going through all the things I have to do the next day to get ready. Mom could tell something was bothering me but every time she asked, I lied and said nothing. Finally, she says, "I know what I want for my birthday."

Without thinking, I blurt, "Oh, now you tell me."

"So you got me something," she says, curious now.

My eyes went wide, I probably went pale and in my head I'm saying, *Shit! Blabber mouth. Now what?* What I said was, "You're gonna have to wait and see."

"I bet you can't keep it til Tuesday," she said. (Her actual birthday was the Tuesday after. The party was on a Friday)

"You're gonna have to wait and see," I said again, thinking this is a vague enough reply. The whole time my dad is laughing and I was worried he was going to blab as well. But, he didn't. When my mom arrived at the party and got over her initial shock, she came over to me and said, "I knew you couldn't keep it til Tuesday."

As I said, overall, the party was a success. The people who meant most attended. We had it at the old catering hall I used to work at so some friends who were former coworkers served the food. Everything was great. I took lots of pictures and memories were made that my mom will never forget.

What about you? What are some of your surprise party experiences? Leave a comment below and share. I'd love to hear.

Thanks for reading!

Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment