Saturday, September 6, 2014

September Writing Challenge- Day 6

Prompt- My life would be easier if...

This is a hard one. Do I really have to pick one reason? But, if I do make a list, would this turn readers off because I'm complaining too much? So, I'm just going to pick one.

My life would be easier if... I didn't have rheumatoid arthritis. I hate the fact that I am 30 years old but 5 out of 7 days of the week I feel like a miserable, 90 year old woman. If I go out with my friends and we go walking or dancing, I can't move the next day. To relieve the pain and slow down the damage on my joints, I have to take medication that can cause a bazillion other issues because of side effects. One of them is actually a medication used in higher doses as a chemo therapy. So, my hair is thinning to the point that it only looks decent if I keep it cut super short. And I love long hair. I miss long hair! But, now, I can't even put my hair in a pony tail anymore.

Another medication I'm on is a weekly injection that can destroy my immune system. So, I have to be really careful when I get sick. I even got a flu shot for the first time ever last winter and am getting it again this year. (At least I get it free through work) Bad enough I have a condition where my body is attacking itself. So, give me something that makes my immune system even weaker. What's the point of that? I almost hate to say that it does help me. But, it does. I just wish they could come up with something that didn't have such horrible side effects.

Another thing that drives me crazy is the attitudes I get from people. Rheumatoid arthritis is classified as an "invisible disease." It's not like getting the chicken pox. Okay, maybe that's a bad example but it's the first thing to pop into my brain. And, there are good days and bad. One thing I think that ruined it for me, at least at work, was a few years ago when I danced like crazy at a work Christmas party and then the next day could not move for almost a week. So, people see me hobble and think I was out partying or something and am just whining.

And, the once coworker who always gives me a hard time is just a bitch, which is the most likely scenario. This woman actually accused me (not to my face, of course, but to someone ten feet away) of faking being in pain and exhausted. One of the misconceptions is that people hear "arthritis" and think old people. But, there are other types. Osteoarthritis is, generally, the old people arthritis. Not saying younger people can't get it. If there are underlying causes, it is possible but it's rarer. Rheumatoid can effect anyone. Even children! I'm on a few Facebook groups where I can talk to other people and get their experiences and vent to people who understand and are in my situation or worse. And there are a number of parents who have children with this horrible condition and my heart just goes out to them.

There are ways to keep this condition in check. There is no cure but remission is a possibility. Watching your diet- I've been on a serious low sodium diet for a month now. I should have done it a long time ago but it took a blood clot and doctor's orders to get me to be serious about it. Salt increases inflammation. I can feel it whenever I have pepperoni pizza. Exercise can keep your muscles and joints strong. But, mostly low impact like light walking or swimming. Because heavy duty exercise can do more harm than good. I love swimming, though. After a long day, to go to the rec and jump in the pool feels so refreshing and wonderful. In the winter, I go to the rec after work, sit in the hot tub for ten minutes (the amount of time the jets last) and then jump into the pool. The temperature difference is a nice shock to the system and feels so good. I was able to walk around Key West after doing this last time I was in Florida.

I still miss the days when I could go all day long- shop, swim, walk, eat junk- and not end the day in pain. I never knew what the last half of my 20s was supposed to feel like! And 30 hasn't had an especially spectacular start.

But, I'm working on it. I have my days where I want someone to cut off my legs but my family supports me and keeps me going. I hope there are people out there with the same love and support I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment