Sunday, September 7, 2014

September Writing Challenge- Day 7

Prompt- What made today worthwhile?

Today was great for a number of reasons. First, I woke up. So, points. Second, it was one of those rare Sundays that I was able to have off work. And, that is a rarity in my day job. I work retail, specifically grocery. So, everyone and their grandmother shops on Sundays to prepare for the week. I had asked for it as soon as I was cleared to return. My manager accidentally scheduled me but she was really nice and took me off.

But, I had to have reason for the day off, right? Of course, and a very good one, too. Being born and raised in the Cleveland area, I have been surrounded my whole life with the Cleveland/Pittsburgh rivalry in football. It's kind of ingrained in us. Wait, what am I talking about? There is no 'kind of' about it. It's drilled into us from the moment we are born. (For most people) Cleveland good, Pittsburgh bad. This is not the case across the board. Back when the original Browns were moved to Baltimore to become the Ravens, people gravitated toward other teams. Some stayed on certain bandwagons, some returned to root for the home team when they returned in 1999. One of those bandwagons, unfortunately, was Pittsburgh. Why? Because they win. Sad truth, folks. They win championships and people love that. Or, there are people whose family came from Pittsburgh and that's all they know. Even if they were born and raised here.

So, in honor of that rivalry and the beginning of football season, my parish had a clam bake fund raiser and we aired the game. The food was amazing. I got to see an old friend of mine from when I worked in catering and, also, my former boss.

The game was intense and hard hitting and there were cheers and boos on both ends of the fanbase. And, while the good guys lost, it was a wonderful time nonetheless and the teasing and tormenting was all in good fun. Our pastor even is talking about making this a new tradition!

Hope you all had a great day today. Make every moment worthwhile. Find joy in the little things. The sunlight shining on the dew on a spiderweb, spending time with friends and loved-ones, a child's laughter.

Thanks for reading!
~Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment