Sunday, September 28, 2014

September Writing Challenge- Day 28

Prompt- Write about your sibling(s)

This is appropriate, seeing as it is my sister's birthday today. You'd think I planned to get this prompt today... Oh, wait! I did! ^_^

So, what to say about my little sister?

We'll start with a picture. Best way to go, I suppose. Here's last Christmas.

We're about 5 years apart in age. She loves to say that she never worries about getting old because I'll always be older. That may be true, but I've been told I look like the younger one. We've also been asked if we were twins and I just don't see it. Yeah, you can tell we're sisters. But, twins? Don't get it.

We have opposite personalities. I'm quieter and bookish. I keep my mouth shut, even when mad, unless highly provoked or pushed. I tend to keep things PC to avoid drama. She doesn't sugar coat. She'll tell you right off if she doesn't like you. Or, she just won't talk to you at all. She loves to antagonize and tease, but that runs in the family. We've both done our fair share of torment on each other.

Our relationship has changed over the years, as all do. But, for the better, I think. When we were little, we fought like cats. Sometimes ending with at least one of us in tears. And, the occasional bloodshed. Like the one time I tried to block her from coming into the bedroom and I got knocked into a nightstand. Still have a scar on my back. And, then, there was the time I ended up in the ER after she hit a baseball at my head. But, that was a complete accident.

We've grown up. Sure, we have our little spats once in a while but it's what siblings do. And, as part of growing up, our crazy lives mean we don't get to see each other much. But, we try as often as we can, whether it's just us going to lunch, a double date with the boys, or dinner with the family.

She's a tough cookie. I tend to wear my emotions on my sleeve. She keeps things in pretty well. I'm sure she rages and screams and throws things when alone. But, while I'm sobbing away, she keeps up a tough act.

We stick up for each other. Only one time have I really had an opportunity to defend her. Back in college, I never got reception with the cell service we had at the time while on campus. So, my mom would pick my sister up from school and send her in to get me. One day, a guy in the group I hung around with asked who she was. "My sister," I said. "Ooh, is she single? She's cute." "She's SIXTEEN," I snapped. (The guy was 22) "Okaay, not so cute anymore." He backed off and we all poked fun.

Basically, my sister is my first best friend and I couldn't ask for anyone better.

Carey

No comments:

Post a Comment